Sunday, August 1, 2010

Building a Uke

I had the luxury of being able to visit Brevard, NC during the 3rd week of July. My friend Preston Woodruff of Appalachian Tree Works helped me build this:


It started as an ordinary Grizzly Uke kit, but since Preston makes dulcimers and lutes, he knows how to help me make it all fancy.
Here I've worked some on the body of the uke and I've picked out my mother-of-pearl inlay to work on the next day. (Luckily I have an expert to help me every step of the way.)
These are pointy little buggers that won't be easy as my first inlay, but I'm up for the challenge. Preston has super fine drill bits and grinders--like the width of a sewing needle.
I'll need to be able to see what's going on, so I don these super gogs.
Here's Preston. More gloss for the body and neck. This thing gets a crazy amount of coats.
 
Just finished this salamander inlay. Not easy. The tail broke mid way and I had to go on a reconnaissance mission on Preston's workshop floor. I did find it and then immediately glued it in.

Now all I have to do is learn to play the damn thing. One day I dream of being able to play like this.

No comments: