Monday, October 3, 2011

Chicago and Yarn Bombs

I was in Chicago this past weekend and had a short but delightful visit with my sister and nephew. As my husband and I were driving around downtown trying to find a wedding, we saw a few of the city's public art. They are all over!

I remembered seeing these yarn bombs on the east side of Austin a couple of months ago. Chicago needs yarn bombs more than Austin (there was a 40 degree temp difference this past weekend!!), but how fun would it be to put one up in my neighborhood for a holiday surprise?! OK, so maybe decorating a stop sign isn't quite like a 25' statue of the people from American Gothic, but it's pretty dang cool. 












I mean, look! How fun is this?

I've been talking about doing this for awhile, but now I have a goal of Dec. 24, so I'm on it. If you want to make your own yarn bomb, here's a link to a how-to.

If you're intrigued by yarn bombs, you have to see Magda Sayeg's work. Click here for a look at the possibilities!

1 comment:

Carolyn Kimball said...

Love yarn bombs!! Can't wait to see the finished stop sign sweater!