Friday, October 14, 2011

Monotype with Drypoint--working on new plate, kind of

I've had a week of set-backs on my current plan of pumping out a monoprint for this exhibit. My print will hopefully come together in the next couple of weeks. I've read up on  Kepler and Brahe and I have the basic composition. I've had some plate issues (finding one), and time issues (lack of). But I acted as a consultant on this project, so my time was well spent.

Diarama for The Lightning Thief, by Wes Savage, 4th grade


Next step, carve out a nugget of time and cut out my cel-tec/sintra for the drypoint and bevel the plate (post here about this step). Then transfer my image onto the plate, and start inscribing.

I went for a walk the other day and since I was missing my dog Banjo (we're dogless at the moment), I brought along a poem to try and memorize and keep me from feeling lonely for him. I chose a great one by Kahil Gibran, which I've posted here because it's such a great poem and I couldn't resist. I did bump into a fellow artist Francesca Samsel on my stop to a coffee shop. It was great to talk to her about a gallery issue I'm dealing with. She had a fresh perspective. It's so important to have a network of artists to go to for advice and I'm happy that I have begun to build a network of support.

On Children
Kahlil Gibran
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

No comments: