Sunday, January 8, 2012

First print off of Signpress!

Cathy Savage, Tesla the Visual Thinker, 6 x 4", Linocut
I did it! Man, it wasn't easy figuring it out. We had the hardest time getting the roller onto the bed plate, but then it turned out to be a simple solution in the end. I spent some time cleaning the bed plate and researching the basic function of the press on the net. I have some more work to do on registration, plus the pressure handle is still kaput, but if I stick the same pressure used when the handle broke, I'll be OK. If the handle can't be repaired I'll just work around it by mounting my linoleum on wood, which I'd need to do otherwise, and then using a piece of Naugahyde on top of the paper to add in another bit of pressure and protect the roller. The press is a Magnetic Signpress by Dick Blick. My guess is it's a 1950s model. (Thank you Linda Lemon for the press! It's finally getting some TLC!)

8 comments:

88 editions aka K Tankersley said...

congrats!

the print looks perfect

Cathy Savage said...

thanks! I am so tickled. I need to find a place for it. My studio is already crammed, but my kitchen counter isn't the right place either.

Unknown said...

Very nice! I have a signpress, the matching 6' long work bench, 3 full trays of letters numbers and graphics, and accessories I'm not sure what to do with. Maybe someday :)

Cathy Savage said...

Brian, I'd love to have all of your accessories, so consider yourself very lucky! It'll be there when you're ready... Cleaning any rust won't take too long. If you ever decide to part with your equipment, let me know!

Tony Baker said...

How much would you pay for one of these? What does it do even? I have the option of purchasing one, Im wondering if I should... email me if you could BigTsScreenPrinting at gmail dot com

Paul Wilcken said...

Have any tips on restoring one of these presses? The one I found needs lots of TLC. Need to deal with rust, is the main issue.

Paul Wilcken said...

Have any tips on restoring one of these presses? The one I found needs lots of TLC. Need to deal with rust, is the main issue.

Paul Wilcken said...

Have any tips on restoring one of these presses? The one I found needs lots of TLC. Need to deal with rust, is the main issue.