Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Start of a Very Fortuitous Week


I had a great weekend. We have a new table, courtesy of a neighbor who left it out on his curb as refuse. (Hey, I'm not ashamed that I'm a trash picker!) And bonus: The table came with a leaf!














Our previous dining table is now in my studio so there's some rearranging going on there, as you can tell. Now I have one desk for stacking and one desk for working! Well hopefully the stacking is temporary. It's more cramped but I love that I have the signpress off the kitchen counter and in my studio where it's supposed to be.





Transferring line drawing to piece of linoleum
I started a line drawing of Kepler in pencil, then scanned it and printed it out. To transfer it to my linoleum there are several things I could do, but the easiest is using acetone (nasty stuff--do this outside with gloves on) and a cotton ball. Just take your photocopy and lay it face down on your block. Wet your cotton ball with acetone and gently apply. Immediately rub the heck out of the back of the paper with a wooden spoon. The results are faint but enough for me to see what's going on. Acetone transfers work on a variety of surfaces, but I suggest trying out a sample to make sure the acetone doesn't do anything funky to your surface. I made a silly statement the other day about wanting to do one lino a week and I think I may try to see how long I can keep it up.

2 comments:

Kim Brown said...

I love the new table. What an awesome find...one person's trash..another person's treasure!!

Cathy Savage said...

I have to admit I find a lot of stuff on the curbs of Austinites. They have great trash! I have a nice, thick piece of glass that I use for my studio desk. It has sanded edges and everything and I found it on someone's curb. It's 16 x 20, which is a perfect size for cutting on or using as a palette.