Saturday, March 24, 2012

You Never Know--so go for it!

© 2011 Cathy Savage, Little Bird in a Pink Sky,
16 x 11", Monotype with intaglio collage
I was invited to show work in a group monotype/monoprint show at the Museum District Eye Center in Houston and the show was to run for a couple of months. I figured what the heck? There was no entry fee and I was excited about being invited. Plus, I had the work and it was framed. The only speed bump was transportation--my work was framed with glass and not plexi, and after a shipping mishap a couple of years ago, shipping was out of the question. I also drove out to the opening a few weeks later and I have to say it was pretty amazing, actually. It was very well attended, they had live music, and a great food/wine spread. The space was really nice and the curators did a great job selecting the artists and hanging the work. Sure, it was a little unusual to have it hung at an opthamologist's office. Venues are changing, that's for sure. Exhibits can happen anywhere and be successful if they're promoted well enough. Unfortunately my work didn't sell and as I was trying to figure out how to fit in another trip to Houston to retrieve it, I found out a collector was interested and requested a private viewing at her house of several works in the show. In the end, three of my four pieces sold! This collector bought 18 total out of the group! Never judge a book by it's cover, that's for sure. So, if you're interested in a venue in Houston, consider the Museum District Eye Center. At a minimum, you'll have a fabulous opening. Here's a link to an article on the space. Kudos to the Carolyn Garcia for running the successful art gallery portion of the office! 

Here's the next grackle! Etsy link here if you want to critique my listing--I'd love to get any feedback. I know a couple of artists that don't charge shipping. It's always a dilemma, figuring out one's method for such things. I started reading a book on Etsy but gave up. If you have any recommendations on books, let me know! And should you mention the one I have, I'll give it another try.
 

No comments: