Thursday, August 23, 2012

Here's Johnny!!!

I'm almost back from my visit to Shangri-la. We've been in upstate NY and this is my view as I type this very post. I've spent most of my visit hanging out with family. I have managed a bit of reading and I wanted to recommend the book Imagine by Jonah Lehrer. The book will actually be hard to find since Lehrer admittedly fabricated an interview with Bob Dylan--crazy, right? He's one of the most studied and documented musicians--and copies in bookstores were removed by the publisher. But, like any book its contents shouldn't be taken as fact without more research by its reader, and the contents as they stand are worth reading. I heard about the book through an NPR article with the author before the scandal broke and it had been in my library request queue for weeks. When it arrived post-scandal, I figured I'd give the book a read anyway. The book is about creative thought and how to increase creativity through scientific principles. I know it's available through the Austin Public Library system, so if you're local, you can request it if you can't find any lingering copies on the shelves of your favorite bookstore.

I have another book for the plane ride: 6 Steps to Free Publicity. I'll let you know if it's worth the read.

No comments: