Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Alcohol and Acrylic go Together

No, Silly! I'm not consuming magic juice. I'm talking about an alcohol spritz on a thin acrylic wash. The alcohol repels the wash and shows the under painting beneath the droplets. It's totally rocking the moon texture on my latest collage. My hopes of working on art like mad during Girls' Weekend after my daughter fell asleep were way off the mark. Giggling and skipping actually take up a lot of energy and instead of finishing up this work I opted for reading my new book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (great book, btw). So it looks like I won't be able to submit my Io collage/drawing/painting to Pump Project's Drawing Show since submissions are due, ahem, today. Don't you worry, I'm entering a different piece which I glued to it's new home yesterday--a wood panel. I had issues which I'll report on in another post. All I will say is "Air bubbles are not my friend!"

4 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

Have you tried using an iron as Jonathan Talbot uses? It has made all the difference for me in ridding myself of unwanted air bubbles.

Cathy Savage said...

I haven't. I was thinking I had too much acrylic on there. I'm guessing you use a low setting? Gobs of gel medium don't make a difference? I'm so in need of figuring this out. Framing costs are a killer and I need to ship work to north Texas next week, and I'm hoping to mail a wood panel. No trips to framer, no extra costs, no special shipping. I'm in love with the idea of the panels, just need to figure out how to attach successfully. I'll check out Jonathan Talbot's process if I can find it.

Unknown said...

Isn't that a cool process I used the alcohol spritz with some gelatin prints that I did with acrylic heres one http://lindagermain.blogspot.com/2012/09/watery-lilies.html happy printing

Cathy Savage said...

Cool! Haven't even considered that possibility before.