Saturday, January 5, 2013

Trip Down Memory Lane

I'm about to make a Power Point presentation about Moi
I'm giving an artist talk to the Williamson County Art Guild about my work, process, and inspiration. I'll have a chance to talk about printmaking and Tesla--two of my very favorite things! I am also working on a new collage (right now it's just in my noggin') about Io--one of Jupiter's moons--and I plan on documenting my creative process between now and then so I can talk about a specific and recent piece. Should you care to attend the event on Tuesday January 8th, it'll be at the Windberg Art Center, 7100 N IH 35, 6:30-7:30 PM.

What's in my Backpack
With kids I need to have a backpack filled with gear so I have ample stuff to do while I'm waiting for them to finish whatever. Whenever we go camping I always have a ton of crap that I tote along--even if I end up leaving it in the parking lot--because you never know when you may have a spare moment to knit a row or read a chapter. This is my current load:

  1. The Handmade Marketplace by Kari Chapman. I'm already aware of most of the advice I've read in this book so far, but it's a very good all around book, even as a refresher. One thing I found very interesting and will hopefully apply: sending a packet of postcards or giveaways in with my sold orders that includes my own marketing materials as well as those of my other artist friends. If we work together to cross pollinate, we shall rule the world!!
  2. Notebook. I always have one with me. I have a purse-sized one too. When I forget it and need to jot down an idea, I create a note on my phone for later. Lately I've been writing down ideas from the marketing book, but I've started on my business plan and even have rudimentary sketches of the Io piece. It's all in there mixed up together. Just like my brain.
  3. Novel. You never know when you're going to need a break from what you should be reading and just enjoy a novel. I'm at the tail end of The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea, which I've enjoyed immensely. 
  4. Misc: Mechanical pencils, highlighter, optional book light (you never know!)
  5. Knitting project. I'm working on a beard for my son. Yes. I'll post it when I'm done. Here's a link to the pattern if you are in need of a beard. 
  6. Stitch n' Bitch by Debbie Stoller. Whenever I have long gaps in knitting I need to bring this book with me until I'm rolling on my project. I forgot how to M1 so recently ripped out the beard and will begin again with my Stitch and Bitch book nearby.
  7. My new Radioactive book. I'm really waiting until I finish The Hummingbird's Daughter before I really dive in, but I have it on hand since I'm close to needing it.

No comments: