Friday, November 1, 2013

The Waggle Dance

That recent collaborative print (bees still to come--maybe later today if I can get to it) I printed the other day... this one...

Honey comb by Carolyn Kimball, diagram by yours truly
... was inspired by the waggle dance of the honey bees. Here's a video. Your socks will be blown right off. These bees communicate by dancing. What's most mind blowing, is that they can communicate distance and direction and even account for the movement of the sun--even seasonally. Crikey!



I watched a Nature episode years ago on the honey bee and that's what really started the wheels churning on what was to become this print. I tried to find the episode online but it was aired so long ago that I think I'll need to rewatch it on DVD if I can get my hands on a copy. Nature does have a bee podcast up (only 8 min long) that is very interesting and you can find that here if you want to learn more. 

No comments: