Monday, December 9, 2013

Being Receptive

I just learned about Grace Hopper. I'm curious if I heard of her before when I wasn't interested in math and science and just shrugged it off. Luckily there's such a thing as Google Doodles--and Hopper was profiled today--so I did some investigating today on this pioneer of the computer age.


I've had folks ask how I get ideas. Well, this is it! Just a little spark of interest that gets lit from somewhere--just enough to get me to dig a little deeper. God Bless the Google Doodle! I get plenty of ideas from their little ditties. There are other avenues for ideas too. Nova and Nature are both great resources. On the way home from my studio the other night I was listening to NPR and they had a story on Alan Turing. Sure, I've watched movies about breaking the enigma code and the like, but I have to be in the right place at the right time, and be receptive. It just so happens I've been wanting to do something with an old art project from college. Yes, from 1987. I cut it up and now it's the background for something about breaking code. At least it'll be that eventually. But here's the start of it:

Golden Heavy Gel is my glue of choice for this project. 

No comments: