Friday, November 5, 2010

One Artist Every Quarter

A couple of years ago I made a goal of studying one artist per quarter. It was great! Not only did I learn about and appreciate the work of other artists, I found it incredibly inspiring. After probably 6 quarters, I stopped doing it. I'm not sure why or how I got derailed, but I did. I've been wanting to do it again and after reading a Facebook post by my favorite art marketing guru Alyson Stanfield, I'm inspired to do it again. Alyson suggested her followers pick up the Grant Wood biography and read it as a group. I'm in!

One contemporary artist I studied was Christo. Christo and Jean Claude were in Austin in conjunction with their show at AMOA a few years back and I thought I'd pick up their book, get it signed, attend a lecture they were holding that week, and see the exhibit. After reading their biography I was really turned on by their work. I love Christo's drawings and his vertical and horizontal lines. Right around that time I was studying phi and I was dividing up my matrix in different calculated sections. His work really spoke to me and I was drawn to the way he used lines so beautifully. He likes pencil and writing in his work too, so that was gravy.

Anyone read the Grant Wood biography already?

No comments: