Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mr. Brainwash and a Pig with 6 Legs

Last night I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop on Netflix play-it-now (I heart Netflix). Interesting film. I have mixed feeling about Mr. Brainwash. He's broken graffiti art rules by making money, and like other graffiti artists, he's "borrowing," but 100 times over. He's found an audience and he's inspiring them--or at least they are buying his work. Is he a hack, or a genius? I'd love to know your thoughts. (I figure this is all research in my quarterly goal of studying Basquiat. He started as 1/2 of SAMO after all, a late 70s poetic graffiti duo from NYC.)

Love these altered figures by Debra Broz. Check out the video (by Arden Durham) of Debra working!


2 comments:

Eli said...

I think it shoulda won the Oscar.

Cathy Savage said...

I was hoping it would win too, just because of the shenanigans that would have ensued. I haven't seen any of the other documentaries... I've been wanting to see Waiting for Superman.