Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ah, Catapults!

Today I am prepping for a cub scout meeting that is happening tomorrow and I just finished my mock-up. I'm leading the den in a model-making exercise and we're going to make these babies:


I googled and found this link, complete with a PDF downloadable instruction sheet. (What's funny is the search lead me to an event at the Austin Children's Museum Engineering Saturday event. Go Austin! This is a great town to be geek--always something geeky going on.)

Tools needed: tons of popsicle sticks, rubber bands, glue, masking tape and wire helpful if you are too impatient for your glue to dry, dowel and an egg carton or soda lid. The whole time I was building this thing, this song was running around in my head. REM's Catapult, of course. Circa 1984.




Totally unrelated to catapults but good news to share:
Haven Gallery on W. 6th had 4 out of 5 of my pieces sell and they have asked for more work! I am so excited! They put me in a great location, and that made a huge difference, I'm sure. It's pretty cool that people I don't know, nor have ever met, have my work hanging in their homes. I don't think I'll ever get used to that. While I was falling asleep last night I thought of a new series. Surprisingly it had nothing to do with Tesla, baseball, or catapults. I plan on gessoing some paper in a bit and getting started. My woodcut and Tesla bust are still around waiting for action, which will be coming at some point. (I totally get conceptual art. The spark is the exciting part, not necessarily the execution. The last 10% of any project is the hardest for me. That must be why I'm terrible at editioning.)

1 comment:

ahufford said...

Woo hoo on the sold pieces!