Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Best Waffles ever!

We had some friends over for brunch on Saturday and the waffles were a huge hit, and I don't think it was the misosa's talking. I got the recipe off the Internet ages ago, and every once in awhile I'll pull it out, but mostly on special occasions--I'm more of a pancake girl myself. I can get 6-8 on my oven's stove top griddle.


See the possibilities? Look at that griddle!

Waffle recipe? I thought you'd never ask. (I have my substitutions indicated.)


Wonderful Walnut Waffles
Catalina Park Inn
Tucson, Arizona

Makes 6
2 egg yolks
2 cups milk
2 cups all purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry)
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 egg whites stiffly beaten
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (we use pecans from our very own trees instead)
  1. Preheat waffle maker. This recipe is for a waffle with a non-stick surface (I use cooking spray each waffle even with my non-stick, btw).
  2. By hand, mix all ingredients together except the egg whites and nuts. Do not over mix. Gently fold in beaten egg whites. 
  3. Load batter into waffle maker and sprinkle on about 1 Tbs nuts. Close and bake until steam no longer escapes, about 5 minutes. 
This has nothing to do with waffles, but I can't resist telling you that my new Akua intaglio inks will arrive on Wednesday. Do you know what that means? I'll be in heaven with new plates and new ink and this blog will be inundated with monotype posts. I'll try to throw in other stuff for my non-printmaking audience. I have decided to try and make Sundays wirefree before 8 PM (Masterpiece Theatre comes on at 8 and I'm only human!) so who knows what will come of it. 

No comments: