Saturday, June 25, 2011

Artist in Residence?

I'm starting to think this might be a possibility for me as the kids get a little older. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this term, an Artist in Residence is an opportunity for an artist work at a studio with nearby lodging for a week (or up to a month, depending on what's available), allowing total art immersion--no kids, no spouse, just art. Before now I never considered it a possibility, though I have been intrigued for years after hearing about printmaker Anna-Marie Pavlik's artist in residency at a national park. Residencies can work several ways. You can be charged studio and lodging fees, you can be comped studio and lodging fees, and you can be comped studio and lodging fees and earn an honorarium. All residencies seem to go through an application process. What am I considering for my first try at one of these residencies? The Ink Shop in Ithaca, New York. Only drawback if I'm selected? No A/C, which is typically for this area, actually. But there can be days in the 90s. Luckily I've been tempered by Texas heat.



No comments: