Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Comic books? Really?

Why yes! Sometime one needs to read a good graphic novel. I don't lurk in comic book stores, but I do have a favorite: The Dragon's Lair. They have something for everyone including unique games for kids and families, and it's not all Dungeons and Dragons. Keith and I got into the card game Magic about a decade ago, and it was brutal. We'd realize it was 3 AM and we'd have to work the next day, so I can understand the gaming tournaments at comic book stores. Interesting stuff! Besides, last year when I went in there to give them a Tesla Project poster they ALL knew who he was and were thrilled we were putting on the event.

I'm reading a graphic novel that I'd like to recommend. It's The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's available in Austin's library system. I think I'm the first one to check out the one I'm reading so the pages are super crisp. Exciting!!!






The all time classic graphic novel is Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. I bought it in the 80s after reading about it in Print Magazine. I couldn't bear to watch the movie made of the book in 2009 because the book is so incredibly good.













You will be blown away by the composition of every single drawing. 










I recently purchased R. Crumb's The Book of Genesis. I haven't read it much yet, but hope to get to it this fall. 


No comments: