Thursday, December 29, 2011

Luck of the Irish

While in Chicago yesterday I got the chance to visit Tony Fitzpatrick, an artist I've been enamored with for about 10 years now, so it was a thrill. I heard Tony speak to a room full of people at Univ of TX about 1.5-2 years ago, but a one-on-one in his living room felt . . . well . . . pretty dang lucky. He had a show at Slugfest in Austin with an opening just a few short weeks ago. I mentioned to him that I'd be in Chicago, and could I pay him a visit? So yesterday my sis and I confirmed our appointment and drove over. Long and short of it--great conversation, fantastic art at every glance, good coffee, friendly dog, and a fabulous impression of Tony. And, he liked my work.

That book in my hands above? It's Tony's book This Train, which has 150 glorious pages of journal writings and collages. I woke up this morning at 5:40, unable to sleep, and it's because this book was calling to me. It oozes passion in every way, in every word and image.


Last night we drove back in Madison and today we visited the zoo. I had Keith take this picture because I've had this quote on my mind for the last 24 hours:

"Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out." --James Bryant Conant

No comments: