Friday, February 24, 2012

Best thing I've created for $2

result from laser etched chipboard printed intaglio
I laser etched jpgs of N. Tesla's patent drawings into chipboard that I downloaded from the Internet--not large files either, mind you. Standard Internet sizes. These are my results. I printed intaglio using Akua intaglio ink on dampened Rives BFK. I prepared the chip board by coating it with 2 coats of water:acrylic medium. WOO  HOO! Two bucks! That's how much my chip board cost. It took about an hour and a half to etch my 20 x 20" plate (this is just a portion of the entire thing), so I did burn some time plus I pay rent on MAKEatx's machine--roughly $6.25 an hour at their current pricing for members. Isn't this wonderful? There is a bit of plate tone that shows brush marks, so I'll need to either accept that or figure out a way to make it go away. This was just a test to see if it would in fact work, but I'm so happy with the results that I plan on using this plate. My initial desire was to use pronto plates, but they don't come as large as 20 x 20. A solar plate would have been expensive. ImageOn on copper? Totally out of my price range. I could have used screen print, but I don't have easy access to a light box, plus I don't have any necessary equipment. I am feeling nothing but love for MAKEatx and their laser cutting machine right now.

No comments: