Monday, February 27, 2012

Weekend Warrior

I visited Dallas over the weekend and squeezed in 6 gallery visits and 2 studio visits and even had time to hit the spa! It was actually a crazy amount of driving--everything is far away in this mega multi-city--and so I logged over 600 miles from Saturday morning to Sunday eve, but it was all worth it. I took a bunch of pictures but will split them up over the week.

Davis & Blevins Gallery on the right,
soon expand to building on the left.
1st on the agenda on Saturday, visit Davis & Blevins Gallery in St. Jo, TX, which is NW of Dallas. St. Jo is a sleepy little Texas town, but when I walked into the gallery, I was completely transported to a chic and metropolitan locale. The gallery is an absolute gem, and owner and artist Donna Howell-Sickles has really created something special here. 





The show was titled Midwinter's Palette and the mostly B&W imagery worked very well with the high white walls and the wood floor. Donna has a gift area in the back and loft of the gallery and sells interesting and eclectic pieces. 








These shots don't seem to be do the space or the work justice, but I wanted to capture the feel of the place with these wide shots. 





The gallery desk is on right plus the start of the gift area with Donna's work on the walls.









graphite drawing by artist Christen Humphries


Back to the Midwinter's Palatte. My favorite piece was by gallery director Christen Humphries--and I had the good fortune to have one of my pieces to the right of it. Christen and Donna did a fantastic job curating and hanging the show and I'm thrilled to be part of it!






There's more great news--Donna is more than doubling the gallery floor and wall space and I was able to take a peek at the construction. These pictures from upstairs show off future studio space for Donna as well as space for workshops.

I also visited Donna's current studio--and I'll post pictures hopefully tomorrow!



No comments: