Monday, February 20, 2012

Like a Flash of Lightning

© Cathy Savage 2012. Work in progress. 16 x 20"
water color pencils
I had a neat thing happen the other day. I had an idea spring into my head, ready to go, ready to get down, fully formed, etc. Usually it's more of a trickle, but this one sparked. It happened as I was driving home from my framer's house. I had salvaged an old piece of frame glass thinking I could use it for something and wham! it happened. There were a few things that prepared the petri dish--reading about a call for entries for a self-portrait show, accepting an invite to be in an upcoming drawing show, having enjoyed and loved my Grandma Layton book of collected of drawings, and now the taking of the glass. I began thinking about how I've been wanting to try using the laser on glass and maybe this would be the perfect trial then the rest came crashing through. I'm still in the early stages, but the deadline for dropping off work for the drawing show is Feb. 27, so this will be finished in the coming days (love those deadlines!!). The plan is to laser the glass with drawings and text and then use it as an extra layer in the work when framed.

No comments: