Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Gourmet Camping--Recipe Alert

Well, not really, but close. I made this meal on day two of camping (we got back Friday night after 4 days at Caprock Canyon in middle-of-nowhere Texas) and it was a huge success. It's adapted from Camp Out! The Ultimate Kids' Guide and it is so good I would serve it anytime. My kids of course wouldn't touch this stuff if it was their last meal, but it's adult approved.

Curry Veggies (can serve over pre-cooked rice, but totally optional)
Slice at campsite:
2 carrots
1 zucchini
2 large red potatoes, thinly sliced (equal to 1 cup)
1 small onion

Packed at home in ziploc:
1/2 c shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 c raisins

Packed at home in mini tupperware:
2 T canola
2 tsp curry
1/4 tsp salt

cook in covered pan on camp stove, pour in at least 1 cup water to aid in veggie cooking, which will also create a nice sauce. Serve over rice if that's your thing, or eat as is--like we did since I forgot the rice at home. :)

In March of 2011 I typed up our menu for our Spring Break camping trek, but this year I have to say I topped it. I made a berry cobbler that was a super big hit. I think it's adopted from the same camping book mentioned above.

Berry Cobbler
I use about 4 cups of frozen berries and once they are double ziploced, they work wonders helping to keep cold stuff cold in the cooler. I made this the second night also so it was a banner night food-wise. OK, basically you simmer the berries. They should be mostly soft if it's not your first night's dessert so pour the berries and any juice into the pan.

At home you pulse in your food processor:
1 2/3 c ww pastry flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 c shortening
2 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

We bring milk with us when camping, but if you want to make it easier on yourself, add in 1/4 c powdered milk to the dry ingredients and add 1/4-2/3 c water at the campsite and knead dough in bag. Otherwise, add about a 1/4-2.3 c milk at the campsite, a little at a time, into the ziploc and knead the baggie until it's all mixed and great for plopping on top of simmering berries. Cover and cook on low until dough is cooked. About 20 mins. 

No comments: