Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Printmaking Lesson Plans

Relief print--background made with skinny roulette
I've had a great time at Griffin School, where I'm teaching an 8-session printmaking course. Last week covered intaglio and it was great to hear the oohs and ahhs as the kids pulled their pieces off the press. If you're about to teach a printmaking workshop, I'm happy to share my lesson plans--just get back to me with any improvements. They're skeletons, but you'd at least get the intentions and supply list off of them which may be of help if you're creating yours from scratch. This is what we've covered so far: monotype on gelatin plates, monotype on plexi plates, relief, and intaglio. Next up we're going on a field trip to laser cut a collaborative piece in wood at MAKEatx, then after that, we'll tackle collagraphs. At the end of the 8 weeks we'll have covered a little of everything. The one area that needs tweaking? Kids come into class without any ideas on what to create, therefore spending valuable press time running to the library for images. I'm not sure how to solve this. I may start clipping images out of magazines to provide a stack of inspiration.

No comments: