Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Workshop: Laser cutting for Printing

result from laser etched chipboard printed intaglio
Laser woodcut matrix with some additional hand carving
I'm excited to announce that WPA and MAKEatx are teaming up to hold a laser/print combo workshop! I'll be helping out by offering my experience with printing lasered substrates, while MAKEatx will provide expertise in setting up files and the actual lasering. It'll be a 2-day workshop of 3-hours each and there will be laser time + the WPA studio will be open for proofing. We'll experiment with chip board, wood, and acrylic. The plate size will be kept to 5 x 7" so we can accommodate everyone (think of a dot-matrix printer--that's how the machine functions so it's not necessarily lightening speed). Interested? The dates will be May 22 and 25 from 6:30-9:30 PM. We're still working on the price but our goal is to get your interest piqued in experimenting with this new technology, so it'll be affordable. More info coming on how to register, but if you have any questions in the meantime, please let me know!

© 2012 Cathy Savage, Kepler/Brahe, 15 x 11.75"





Here's my first woodcut on the laser machine. As noted in the caption above, I needed to do some hand carving in the areas that I wanted to be clear of incidental marks. The laser was great in getting my key imagery transferred to the wood. Since it was a digital file I could increase and decrease everything until it was just right, then go in with the hand tools.

More laser posts found using this link

No comments: