Thursday, June 7, 2012

Eye of the Dog Art Center

© 2010 Cathy Savage, Electric Charges
I spent a good part of the day thinking about past assemblage workshops taken with artist Beverly Mangham at her amazing Eye of the Dog Art Center--a beautiful retreat that she shares with her husband Billy Ray. Most recently, as in 2 years ago, I made this Tesla related piece in Beverly's upcycle workshop. I arrived at the workshop with a laser copy of Tesla's face--knowing an image transfer was on my personal agenda--and a few other things including a white bird. Everything else you see in this piece came out of Beverly's stash including the piano key on the far right.










Here's an up close of the vacuum tube--see the little masked head? My daughter gave me some cool little heads yesterday that she made at camp and this all came back to me and I'm itching to get going on another project.














Here are the faces made out of Fimo clay and a mould--now you know why I'm dying to put them in something. I also have a nice stash of treasures I've been collecting so I'm basically ready. Even though I could certainly set aside time to work on my assemblages at home, there is something about Beverly's workshops that makes them magical. First of all, location, location, location. On top of that, Beverly encourages participants to raid her stash, she knows a ton about the appropriate adhesives to use, there are all kinds of tools at one's disposal, and Billy Ray makes wonderful lunches. Plus the other students I've worked alongside in the past have all been fabulous and very encouraging.

© 2003? Cathy Savage
I made this treasure at my first workshop, years and years ago. I was a new mother and feeling the pinch of the baby and needing art time for myself.

That settles it. I'm going to the next one. When I find out the date for the next upcycle workshop, I will let you know! In the meantime, check out the Eye of the Dog Art Center.

No comments: