Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Gallery scene in Asheville, NC

I explored downtown Asheville, NC yesterday and was amazed at how many galleries there are. Most of the work I saw was regional, but at one gallery I saw work by a Texan. I visited several galleries on Asheville's Art Walk Guide. Can you believe they had 22 galleries listed? They have another arts district that wasn't included in this guide--the River Arts District that's made up mostly of individual artist studios. Can you imagine E.A.S.T. (East Austin Studio Tour) happening every single day? Population in Asheville? 83K. Austin? 790K. I am now convinced I need to look outside Austin for galleries. Studio sales are great and important and don't require a commission, but to reach the income level I'm seeking, I need to have several revenue streams. Now if I could just snap my fingers and make that happen, I'd be in business. (It's manageable without magic, and I plan on reaching that goal in the coming years. Thank you Alyson B. Stanfield, art marketing genius, for pointing me in the right direction.)

I went to a uke jam yesterday in Asheville and had a great time. The uke is a fun instrument and therefore ukers are fun, so I was welcomed with open arms!  



No comments: