Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Stuck

The reality is, sometimes I get stuck. I can't seem to move forward on my collage, and what I should be doing is just going into my studio anyway and at least sharpening pencils, but instead I'm baking and reading the cookbook, The New Laurel's Kitchen. For the last two days I have I made the best bran muffins--and other stuff--but since I've intentionally turned my oven on twice this week in the Texas summer heat, I figure it's worth jotting down my slightly amended version for any readers out there needing some extra fiber. Please excuse the fact I don't have any pictures. We gobbled them up mighty fast, and besides, bran muffins aren't the beauty queens of the muffin world anyway.

Apple Bran Muffins

Preheat over to 350F. Grease 12-cup muffin pan.
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup oat bran
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts or sunflower seeds, optional
  • 1/2 apple, chopped
  • Juice of 1/2 orange
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
  • 1 egg, beaten

  1. Mix together vinegar and milk and let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, bran, soda, nutmeg, and salt together. Stir in orange rind, raisins, apples and nuts.
  3. Mix together wet ingredients. Add the vinegar and milk mixture.
  4. Stir liquid ingredients into dry just until mixed.
  5. Spoon into 12 muffin tins.
  6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes

No comments: