Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Turning it On

Veggie biscuits and gravy at Clingman's Cafe, Asheville.
The book The $100 Startup is part of my brunch.
Those of you that have met me would find it hard to believe that I'm actually an introvert. It's true. I refuel in a solitary environment. At one point I had a 7-year career that required lots of hand shaking and some public speaking, so luckily I can still tap into that mode when necessary--but it doesn't come naturally. Often I need to push myself to "turn it on," kinda like jumping into a 68 degree spring filled pool where I have to give myself a pep talk. This trip to the NC mountains has underlined my need to get out there and be part of the world, meet people and have an experience. During the school year in Austin I have my nose to the grind stone and miss openings and artist talks just due to mere survival as an artist by day/mom by the remaining 17-hours. Here I've been able to get out of my routine and look around, and believe me, I like what I see.

Marketing requires me to "turn it on." Again, it doesn't come naturally, but things seem to happen when I put myself out there. I sent an email off to an art gallery in the area yesterday, and we have an appointment to meet. My friend Preston Woodruff at Appalachian Tree Works helped grease the wheel for me. Heck, if you never try you'll never get anywhere. Like Preston said to me this morning, there's a lot of hustle when it comes to successful businesses. Are you out there hustling?

No comments: