Saturday, December 22, 2012

Old Dog Learns New Tricks

Right now I'm using this background on my blog banner 
A friend invited me to collaborate on a project that is not in my list of strengths. Amy designs websites and her client wanted an arty collage feel for her website's background. It's the end of the year after all, and there's a financial goal needing to be realized, so of course I said yes! I was slow getting started, but once I found a thread to research for elements, I was on board. I had a blast! It was fun working with a friend, it was fun learning GIMP (I've been using it for years but only knew the absolute minimum, and now I'm a ninja), and we managed to deliver an approved design almost right out of the gate. Our launching point were these texturized backgrounds, which were created by gessoing paper and painting washes using Golden Fluid Acrylics.

For the elements, we scanned them first then removed their backgrounds so we could layer them. It was extremely efficient being able to layer images on top of one another and tweaking as we went along. You can't Ctl-Z glue, so working this way was pretty cool. I'm a tactile person, which was my only reservation for accepting this project, and I wondered if I would be able to work without physically being able to handle things. Well, the answer is yes, and I'm so happy I accepted the challenge. Once the client's website is up and running, I'll be sure to post a link so you can check it out.

No comments: