Monday, October 28, 2013

The Gutenberg Press

I started teaching a printmaking workshop this quarter at Griffin School. I've done this a few times now, and this time I've simplified things. In the past I'm waxed eloquent about all the different printmaking techniques that exist and how awesome each one is, blah, blah, blah. I decided to stick to the basics--relief and intaglio--instead of leading a comprehensive class. Specifically I'll be covering linocuts and collagraphs, with drypoint thrown in if time. No more lugging sample prints (framed sometimes) + plates and books on printmaking, and going on and on to an audience that's kinda dumbstruck by the massive amounts of information. If I see a spark in some kid's eye, trust me, I'll be bringing in the bling. But my new plan? Keep it Simple, Stupid.

I talked about the Gutenberg Press and Gutenberg Bible in my kick off class and the kids looked a little puzzled. I decided I'd show this video at the start of class next week. If you need a refresher on the Gutenberg Press/Bible yourself, here you go:



If you're in Austin, you can see a Gutenberg Bible at the Harry Ransom Center! It's in their permanent collection. Pretty sweet! I took a field trip there myself last Thursday, and the bible was open to the book of Ruth, which of course reminded me of my grandma Esther and her twin, Ruth.


No comments: