Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Hankies and Flags!


PrintAustin has an upcoming print exchange which was inspired by these flags, which were once part of an installation by Women & Their Work titled THIRST. They had 14,000 or something flags strung up around Townlake during the installation and at one point were selling the flags--possibly still are. 2 bucks a flag I think.... Anyway, I own some and they make me happy every time I walk inside my door.

Now, regarding PrintAustin's print exchange. You can find more info about it here with two other calls. The deadline is Dec.15 to enter and you don't need to turn in the prints until January, so you have time. Basically the prints are supposed to be on handkerchiefs so they can be displayed Tibetan prayer flag style. LOVE IT! I'm buying some of this ink this weekend so I can try printing a hankie with a linocut.



Luckily I'm in charge of PrintAustin's hankie inventory (insert evil laugh here) so I have plenty of test subjects.

Update on this Tree piece
I've posted on this thing a few times (suppressing yawn). Basically I'm redoing a recent collage as a drawing/watercolor. A drawing fits more into the budget of the individual who commissioned the piece. Plus she wanted to tweak the color palette--something more subtle. Here's what I have going on in the drawing so far. Tomorrow I will finish it. Without a doubt. Done-zo. I'm ready to work on some new prints that I dreamt up today, so I really need to move this piece off my desk.



But still good news because I found a buyer for the original collage, Yay!



And now completely off topic
I'm considering rethinking how I check email. I've become somewhat hooked on my phone that can grab emails when I walk into WiFi zones, but they still manage to pile up. And then my inbox gets nuts and I miss dates and it all goes to hell. One art marketing coach I follow, Alyson Stanfield, checks email only at certain times of the day so she can focus on reading and responding at the same time. She downloads her emails when she's ready to handle new email vs. having them arrive automatically. Food for thought anyway. Here's a link to her blog post on managing email.

No comments: