Sunday, November 21, 2010

Grant Wood

Good news, I finished up the book on my sewing machine table nightstand, so I was able to crack my new Grant Wood biography this afternoon (previous post here). On the first page they have one of my favorite words--doppelganger--so I'm looking at that as a sign of good things to come.

I worked on some encaustic pieces this afternoon. They are in a state of flux, which is bad news for the next couple of days because I'll be in a flurry, but yet they're started, so it's not all bad. This one here was started a year ago but set aside and nearly forgotten. The black spiral is a black hole, which was how I was feeling at the time. I've updated it with a head, but we'll see where it leads. It could be completely different come Tuesday. One great thing about encaustic is you can heat any element and remove it, either by softening the wax and peeling it up or by scraping it off. So there are no mistakes.

I had someone ask me about an encaustic workshop today and I'm contemplating holding one. It would be after the holidays, but the weather would need to be reasonable since we'd need to work outdoors. I usually work on my back porch due to the fumes even though I wear a respirator, but with several of us we'd need to be completely al fresco due to space. Anyone possibly interested? I would be able to talk about traditional encaustic, but the workshop would be on encaustic collage--taking papers you currently have and adding to them with paints, watercolors, etc, and then collaging them to a matrix with wax medium. Let me know if this sounds interesting to you. I'm still working out the supply list as well as the cost, but knowing who might be interested would get the ball rolling. I'm be doing some research in the meantime.

No comments: