Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Camp Crafty--Day 1

I had 3 kids over for camp, plus my 2, working on paper mache yesterday and it was a lot of fun! First thing was to make forms out of twisted newspaper and masking tape, then we tore strips of newspaper and let them soak in a 50/50 solution of Elmer's glue and water for a few minutes. Next we took the strips and covered the forms, with the goal that no masking tape would peek through, but honestly the kids were bored with that goal and declared themselves finished way before they should have. I touched up some of the forms a bit--that's the control side of me--and set them out in the 106 degree heat and they were dry in no time.

First pic, T-Rex. This one, a dog


 
This one is a helicopter.
The next step was gesso. Oh it was hard seeing my lovely gesso scooped out with way too much fervor and glopped on! But I survived and so did my brushes. Raleigh used circles of cardboard and covered them with short strips of paper. She's going to make a necklace.





One of the boys insisted on taking home his helicopter so I don't have a picture of the gesso stage on his--yes, he took it home wet and gloppy.
We had a few mins before pickup so I let them all have a sheet of watercolor paper and go after it with my watercolor pencils and Caran D'ache crayons. Day one was a success. We have two more days of crafty delights!

No comments: