Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Big Day...

Hey! This is what I look like after I've set my art biz up as a sole proprietorship! I met friend and fellow artist Deborah McLouth of Rippling Waters Studio at the County Clerks Office to file our own DBAs. All it took was $14 and about 10 minutes worth of time. This blog post has a thorough description of the process, but here are the nuts and bolts:

1. File a DBA (for Austinites, go to 5501 Airport Blvd.)

2. Download the Tax Permit Form found here, print, complete, sign and mail in.

Most of my sales go through a 3rd party that already collects tax, but now I have the means of selling out of my studio directly--while being legit. The goal is also to increase my freelance graphic design gigs, but heck, who knows if I'll ever get around to doing that. I did I learn something from Field of Dreams though, "Build it and they will come." 

2 comments:

Amy G. said...

Thank you so much for this, Cathy! Great blog! -Amy G.

Cathy Savage said...

See, directing you to a spoke on the wheel worked!! :)

I think if you bring cash it's $14, otherwise they add a $2 charge for a check or credit card.