Thursday, February 2, 2012

Yesterday's Results

© Cathy Savage 2012, Kepler and Brahe,
12 x 15", woodcut
Yea! Finally I can say it's ready for production.




















I did a little more hand carving before printing. 

© Cathy Savage 2012

© Cathy Savage 2012
I liked the planetary motion doodad that showed up on my little lino print of Kepler, but I think this piece works as is, so I'm leaving it out on this version.

So, who's your guy, Johannes Kepler or Tycho Brahe? Just flip the print around and you can show him off. When I sign the print, I'm going to sign it twice, at the bottom of each astronomer and it will be wired twice after it's framed for easy flipping. I used Akua Intaglio Mars Black on Strathmore and I think got a very rich black.

Verdict on using the Epilog laser machine on this woodcut project
Well, I certainly had fun experimenting. I think if I attempt a similar application again, I'll simplify the process entirely and just engrave my sketch into the wood and then start carving by hand. I like the hand carved look so when factoring in my time to create linos as the roadmap for the laser machine, that really packed in the hours of effort. Why not just carve into the wood itself? I think for other projects, lasering alone might be a great choice, it's just a matter of figuring it out. Stay tuned...I have 2.5 more months of using the laser machine at MAKEatx!

No comments: