Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Image Transfer Mini Workshop

I'm teaching a 5th grader how to do image transfers this afternoon. I am in the middle of preparing the lesson plan even though I've had weeks to do this. I figured I might as well blog as I'm working out the details.

Our first task will be to do a gel medium transfer. Here's a finished one here. Pretty cool, huh? I have the entire process described here. One variation is to use an inkjet printout on an overhead, burnish into medium, let dry, and peel. This will result in a super clean transfer. Great for text.

There are caulk transfers--basically the same process as the gel transfers--and we'll probably try this even though the paper will need to be peeled off at home because of the drying time required.

before, tape has been burnished on
Contact paper transfers. We'll try this but use packing tape. Basically you apply contact paper/tape to the front of the image, burnish, and then soak image in water for a few mins, then gently rub off the wet paper. You'll need to then glue down your transfer to another surface afterward--there won't be any stick left on your contact paper/tape. LaserJet only--no ink jet since the ink will bleed. (I wish our toner wasn't low right now... I think I could get even better results with a fresh cartridge.)
after--basically it's see through. I have some paper
behind the tape just to photograph it.
This could be really neat collaged over a
background pattern or image.























I have an entire booklet (37pp) of image transfer methods that I compiled years ago, but the methods above are the easiest beside direct printing on a decal. The reference materials that make up those 37pp are Collage Discovery Workshop, The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery, Collage Sourcebook: Exploring the Art and Techniques of Collage, Collage Discovery: Beyond the Unexpected, and Digital Art Studio.

No comments: