Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Studio Visit: Donna Howell-Sickles

Art by Donna Howell-Sickles
As mentioned yesterday, I visited Donna Howell-Sickles' studio up in St. Jo this past Saturday, just a few steps away from Davis & Blevins Gallery. Donna's existing studio is an old church, but even though the floorplan is a little unusual, it was fun discovering the nooks and crannies--all filled with works in progress!  In this pic, Donna's created a loose sketch from a live model using vine charcoal. She'll complete the sketch and add color sans model--in order to keep it loose. 
Art by Donna Howell-Sickles

Art by Donna Howell-Sickles

Art by Donna Howell-Sickles

Look! Golden Fluid Acrylics! I love them too. I like how she has all the tops opened.

Artist Donna Howell-Sickles with her work

Art by Donna Howell-Sickles
You can see evidence of the church here with the stained glass windows. Dang, I can't remember what kind of press. I think a Takach.
Art by Donna Howell-Sickles










Yes, a Takach. The etchings on the wall were printed by Jerry at Flatbed Press! It was cool to  recognize their chop. 

Donna's work is widely collected. Even though this was my first up close introduction to western art, I can tell that Donna has definitely found a niche, and she's filled it with all kinds of brilliant colors.

2 comments:

Magnetic Island Artist Edward Blum. said...

What a inspiring blog!! It bursts with talent and exsperiences. Thank you so much for sharing. Greatings from Australia.

Cathy Savage said...

thank you! How nice to find this in my inbox this morning!!