Sunday, March 4, 2012

Diving into Gouache

© 2012 Cathy Savage, Carpe Diem, 16 x 24",
watercolor pencils, acrylic, laser etched glass
I recently finished Why We Broke Up, a book illustrated by Maira Kalman, and I loved her gouache paintings of ordinary objects. I think my apron drawing was inspired in part by those illustrations. I did a blog post right after the holidays on my cousin in Chicago--Judith Raphael--and I tell you, I've decided to give gouache a little try because of Maira and Judith's beautiful paintings. Plus it's so rewarding seeing results right away. (Never fear, I'll never give up printmaking, but I'm having fun without a press at the moment.)
 



So I went off to the store and picked up several tubes of gouache. I've arranged the same 2 pieces of mat board in different orientations--I had fun with this project but couldn't decide which end was up.

© 2012 Cathy Savage, two 5 x 7" mat board panels, gouache, charcoal pencil
© 2012 Cathy Savage, two 5 x 7" mat board panels, gouache, charcoal pencil

© 2012 Cathy Savage, two 5 x 7" mat board panels, gouache, charcoal pencil


© 2012 Cathy Savage, two 5 x 7" mat board panels, gouache, charcoal pencil
Also, the drawing show at Pump Project (up until March 24, I think), is really fabulous. I'm not just saying that because I have two pieces in it. I mean it. Lots of interesting work from a broad range of people and methods. Stop in during gallery hours if you have a chance. There is something there for everyone.

 

No comments: