Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I've not done any work but have seen 2 Art Films

I've had a very slow start on my week towards artistic genius. Last night I streamed Cave of Forgotten Dreams, a film about the 30,000 year old cave paintings found in the mid-90s in Southern France--wow, beautiful--directed by Werner Herzog. Plus I made and ate some rice pudding making me feel much better about my lack of getting anything done. Tonight I just finished streaming The Woodmans, directed by Scott Willis, a "story of a family that suffers a tragedy, but perseveres and finds redemption through each other and their work - making art." I also made and ate rice pudding, which was even more delicious with a new (and altered) recipe.

My personal review? With Cave of Forgotten Dreams, I was amazed by the shear age of the drawings and the length the French government has gone to protect them. They were quite exquisite and masterfully done--in a cave with a charcoal stick! But after 20 mins I was done, and the film was not.

The Woodmans was fantastic. I was poised at the end of my chair taking in every second and flash of footage, and all I want to do right now is pop into my studio and work, which I think I'll do after I post this. (Do not confuse The Woodmans with The Woodsman. If you see Kevin Bacon in the list of credits, you have the wrong flick!)


*Imagine a picture of rice pudding here. It was so delicious, waiting even a nanosecond to take a picture was not in the realm of possibilities.*


Rice Pudding
2 cups cooked whole grain brown rice
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbs butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

In medium saucepan, combine milk and syrup and bring to a boil. (Add raisins here if you must.)
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat and add butter, spices, salt, and extract.
Eat hot, warm, or cold. Yum.

No comments: