Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Week of Art, Day 2

Today I worked on my collage and tomorrow I will continue the same. Yawn. Is this even interesting? I do have one part of my collage that I find the most intriguing. It's this part--created by spreading a soft gel (in this case I used Impasto Gel 2 by Lascaux) with a putty knife, leaving it a little thick like smear of butter on a piece of cornbread. Then I stamped into it with a foam stamp and let it dry. I used a dry bristly brush to add the color--Golden Fluid Acrylics--and voila! It looks like the remarkable texture of a collagraph.

Here's another area. I think I like the black the best. The putty knife smear as well as the troughs left by my cut up gift card (see below), really seem to pop.








I did hear from a gallery gift shop in Houston about carrying my grackles collages, so I'm thrilled. I'm curious if I can sustain the production of the little beasts? Providing of course that they sell like hotcakes. Time will tell. I did crank out some jello today and plan on rolling it up on Day 2 for future backgrounds on the collages. (Surely you know about gelatin printmaking, but if not, go to this youtube link to see Linda Germain in action.) I like dedicating a chunk of time to each step so I have plenty of materials to pull from, so tomorrow I'll be a gelatin printmaking fool! Tonight I cut out dozens of the woodcut grackles while watching 2 movies on Netflix. :) I'm taking full advantage of my week without my family and waking up late, watching too much of the boob tube, and going to bed super, duper late.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love that jagged red toothy thing. Congrats on the grackles

Cathy Savage said...

Thank you!