Friday, September 28, 2012

Wonders of Plexi

I love Plexi. I use it for printmaking--monotypes mostly, but it can be used for drypoint as well--and I always request it over glass when getting my work framed by my awesome framer, Winner "Augie" Augustine of L'Antillaise Gallery. (I had a print framed with glass nearly ruined in transit when the glass broke. Never again. Plexi all the way, baby! My supplier? Regal Plastics.)

© 2012 ModPlexi
Artists Wendy and Melissa of ModPlexi use plexi for colorful backsplashes for their line of house numbers and I was fortunate to see one up close yesterday when I visited Wendy. She also has a clever way of framing the collages that she and Melissa create, sandwiching their work between pieces of plex and using screws to hold them together on the edges.




© 2012 ModPlexi

Here's an example of one of ModPlexi's collages. Two pieces of plexi (one which is used as the matrix) are pressed together and secured, giving their unique work a very modern look.

ModPlexi's blog link
ModPlexi's etsy site link




Sorry this pic is so poor. It has a funky
plastic cover that wasn't easy to photograph.
The kids and I visited the library today after school and look at this very apropos book I found in the art section! It's titled Plexi Class: Cutting-edge Projects in Plastic by Tonia Davenport. Most of the projects inside are fun jewelry projects, but it was nice to thumb through. The author uses an X-acto blade to cut her shapes and all I could think was her life would be a lot easier if she would use a laser cutting machine like the one at MAKEatx.













Perfect Presentation Frame
from the book Plexi Class

Davenport did have a frame in the book similar to what Wendy and Melissa create. She uses wood trim molding to make a frame, secures the artwork similar to how a framer would do it using foam core and a point driver, then screws the plexi on top (in this example she uses plexi pieces instead of a large sheet. Huh? Yeah, that's what I thought.) A sawtooth is nailed into the top back of the frame to hang the work. I have a show coming up next month at the UU church and I plan on trying this method. I could use a temporary frame that is inexpensive to make and easy to store.

I printed my second color of my reductive woodcut that I mentioned the other day. Silly me forgot to snap pics while in the studio, so it'll have to wait until next week. It's very exciting! My registration was spot on!!

No comments: