Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Back to the Laser

© 2012 Cathy Savage, 11.5 x 15.5 x .75
Here I am gluing the final layers of the shadow box.
(Isaac Newton is peeking through on the paper underneath! See him?)
I joined MAKEatx for the month of October and I had my first laser session today. I have a show up at the First UU Church of Austin this month and this piece, which is an edition of 10 (incomplete, of course, as is my habit), is apparently in hot demand. I've had three expressions of interest since its been hung (!!), so I'm making more.






The laser cutting machine is pretty awesome. It took me eons to set up the file, but after that front-end work, I just need to be there while the machine does it's magic. Each puppet theater takes a little over 2 hours for the pieces.














I'll be painting each piece, assembling, then building a frame. Here are the pieces as raw Baltic birch.

I spent the rest of the day getting some grackles ready. I'm heading to Houston tomorrow and I have a location that might be interested in carrying them. Keep your fingers crossed for me!  

No comments: