Sunday, November 4, 2012

Going out with a Bang

Bouquet of Basil
About a week ago I discovered the City of Austin is going to pour sidewalks on our street. I was hoping they would tear up the south side, but no, it's our side. Oops. I knew there was a risk when we planted the garden in the easement. It'll be a year before they start to tear this up, but for the next 12 months I plan on having an amazing harvest--the garden's own bucket list if you will. I'm planting things I've never tried such as a variety of fun named lettuces, kale, and something my kids will be sure to hate--brussels sprouts. I planted several kind of chard too, so we'll be doing well in the leafy green department.

I wandered outside a few mins ago to admire my handiwork from earlier. I was reminded of R.E.M.'s song "Gardening at Night" which of course made me run back in and play it.

2 comments:

Janna said...

Sidewalks now! You just got your street fixed after months of a mess.
I saw you out cleaning up your garden the other night. Am always inspired by what you grow. Loved seeing the artichokes.
Who knows, you could have longer than 12 months the way things move with the city.

Cathy Savage said...

The sidewalks are for the Safe Walk/Ride to School initiative, so I guess I can't be too upset about it. lol. Oh well. I hope to garden like mad and make it the best season yet. I've enjoyed having a garden, though I have to admit, I've ignored it since May. It felt great to get in there and weed and plant.