Thursday, March 6, 2014

Well hello Isaac Newton!

I sat in on a fabulous workshop last year and never really experimented the same technique using my Akua inks dum dum dum... until now! I had fun experimenting last week using a charcoal pencil sketch and turning it into a print.

First, ink up plexi plate with thin layer of Akua intaglio opaque white, straight out of the can. Then on tracing or tissue paper, use a charcoal pencil (or charcoal vine) and sketch something. Shake off any charcoal dust. Next, place your paper face down on your plate and run it through the press in order to transfer your drawing to your plate.
Here's my plate with my tissue paper drawing face down, ready to be transferred. 
Drawing on the left, freshly transferred to the plate on the right.
There's enough charcoal left on my tissue paper to transfer to an additional plate.  

Next, on top of your plate, roll on a thin layer of Akua Release Agent, apply your dampened paper, and run through the press. Voila!


The charcoal is sandwiched between the opaque white and the release agent, so there's no charcoal rub off. I was just experimenting here, but you can see there could be some fun reasons to use this technique. The charcoal line looks very much like a lithograph crayon. 

1 comment:

Aine Scannell said...

Hi there Cathy

OMG cant believe there isn't a comment on this excellent post (not even one by me!!) I can only imagine that I was so excited ...........that I immediately dashed off to try this out myself.

I have just been having another go at it and have found that you can just apply a very small thin layer of Akua transparent base (they do say its the ink without the pigments colour etc) anyway.........then as per your instructions one carefully rolls a layer of release agent onto the transferred image that is now on the plate...........anyway it worked fine. Just thought I would let you know. I must remember next time to use my 'widest diameter' brayer next time, though.

Interestingly BEFORE I got myself set up with Akua inks........I did try this technique using stuff from an oil based printmakers base/ materials etc (so-to-speak).

As far as I can remember I think first, I rolled plate oil (medium) onto the plate first then ran that through the press with the charcoal drawing on the tracing paper. (By the way have you ever tried charcoal etc on tissue paper?).

Before I forget to mention it - I did manage to do a transfer using coloured pastels, the brand name was Unison artists pastels. I think as long as they are artists standard they are fine.

Anyway..........getting back to the oil etc based transfer.............

..................The plate then had intaglio 'transparent base' or 'extender' rolled onto the plate surface - it worked fine. Just in case somebody asks you.