Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Building a Plate

I've been working on a new plate for the last week. Spring Break is happening, so my studio time is somewhat limited. It's been fun hanging out with the kids, and every evening when they are winding down, I have a nagging need to work on my plate every night, so I've been in my home studio putting in an hour here and there.

I started by gessoing my Sintra plate. I'm not sure why I did this other than Jill Alo has done it before and I liked her results. After some sanding, then came Newton in pencil.


I added some grit for the dark parts and gel medium for the light parts (the grit will hold ink and the shiny gel medium will wipe cleaner).


I added some dudes on a cart using a combo of carborundum and gel medium.




Here's where I am now.



I have more to go before I proof this, which is looking like next week. To be continued.... In the meantime, I'm looking through some sewing books to start on a soon-to-be-identified project. I have loads and loads of fabric and it's time to put it to use. 

No comments: