Friday, January 7, 2011

Jean-Michel Basquiat

I'm almost finished with the Grant Wood biography I've been reading. I also picked up a paperback on American Gothic, but it's a quick read (yes, an entire book dedicated to the painting and the culture surrounding it's popularity).

One of my goals for 2011 is to study one artist per quarter, which I was doing for a few years but took a hiatus in 2010. Who's first on the list? Basquiat. The other night I streamed The Radiant Child from Netflix and it was fantastic. It's hard to believe at the time of his death at age 27 he had over 1000 paintings and 1000 drawings. It would have been interesting to watch his career over a lifetime. If you have any Basquiat media to recommend, please pass on the info. I'll be scouring the library system soon and it would be nice to have a starting point.

The picture to the left is a Basquiat-inspired work that son Wes did last year. I love it so much it's on my studio door--a perfect location for seeing it 100 times a day.

No comments: