Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Books Galore!

I am reading some fabulous books right now. I just finished Girl Stories by Lauren R. Weinstein (visit author link to see her blog--cartoons posted regularly!!) which I loved. I am so excited I happened upon this book/author, as I was wandering around my local library branch. I'm in some kind of comic book mode right now and just started my next one which is My Troubles with Women by Robert Crumb. (I blogged about his Old Testament book before. Also, if you know anything about R. Crumb, you know not to leave his stuff around for kids to discover. This ain't Uncle Scrooge.) I'm an artist and I like to draw, but comics are something I find absolutely daunting--especially good ones. It's a pretty unique talent. Austin's library and my own Yarborough branch has lots of adult graphic novels and comics on their shelves, which I mentioned previously is how I came across these two books. I have to admit I read my share of Archie's back in the day, but I swear these more mature versions are fantastically entertaining!

My next book in the queue is Why We Broke Up (here's the NYT review) by Daniel Handler and illustrated by one of my favorites, Maira Kalman. They have a blog too, where you can post your own break up story. I was fortunate enough to make it to their recent book signing at Bookpeople. They gave a slide show about the book complete with illustrations. My goodness those two were funny. You must see them if they come to a bookstore near you.

What's on your nightstand?

No comments: